I had dessert at Max Brenner, Esplanade with a friend who had a craving for churros.
We ordered Marshmallow Milk Chocolate, Italian Thick Dark Chocolate & Churros. I must say, both drinks we good! Unfortunately, we were very much disappointed with the Churros. It was very hard and chewy. Both of us had difficulty chewing it and our jaw felt sore. When we gave feedback to the staff, he came back to say, “the chef said, all over Singapore, Churros taste like that!” We found it ridiculous as we had perfectly good tasting churros in Europe & Japan!
Oh well! I decided to make some myself and see if my churros can be as good! This is a simple recipe and my sisters loved it! The ones I made were slightly chewy, with a nice crunch. It is small and thin as I do not have a big nozzle.
1 cup water
2 1/2 tbsp white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup flour
some oil for frying
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
(1) In medium heat, add water, sugar, salt and veg oil and mix until it boils
(2) Remove from heat and stir in flour. It will form a ball ( I used spoon to mix it)
(3) Place in piping bag, pipe into desired length and fry medium heat until it browns.
(4) Mix cinnamon and white sugar
(5) Roll fried churros onto the cinnamon + sugar mixture
Note: Use a big nozzle as a small nozzle will produce a thinner churros and may be crunchy after frying.
Recipe was adapted from: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/churros/